EDIT: DUE TO THE PANDEMIC, 2020 CAMP IS NOW AN ONLINE EXPERIENCE
PRICE HAS BEEN ADJUSTED FOR ONLINE CAMP TO $775.00 TOTAL, SIBLING AND MILITARY DISCOUNTS STILL APPLY.
Presenting: P2A4 on the Cat!
The Catoptrics Network (our in-universe magical version of the internet) is a series of magical mirrors used by wizards and mages throughout the world to communicate with each other, scry and divine, and, for particularly advanced users, travel through space and even time. Every participant in the P2A4 summer program this year will use the Catoptrics Network – aka “The Cat” – to attend class, interact with their court, and travel to hidden rooms and places in pursuit of truth, knowledge, and justice.
The Logistical Details
P2A4 on the Cat will be conducted via a private Discord server with voice and text channels, as well as through a private Zoom account with various meet-up rooms. There will be a combination of live video sessions, such as magic school classes and challenges, text-based ongoing roleplay in Discord channels, and voice-chat on Discord Channels. The servers and Zoom meetings are private and will not be accessible to anyone other than camp participants and staff with the permissions and passwords. Live video sessions will be opened and conducted by a staff member and the Discord server will be moderated by staff.
P2A4 will be held the same week that the in-person experience was scheduled: July 12-18, 2020. We will keep the Discord server open after camp for continued online roleplay and meet-ups with supervision from our amazing staff for 90 days post-camp. We wanted to honor the dates already set aside for the full immersive experience, and then allow campers to continue interacting online through the remainder of the summer.
What will it look like:
While we are still building all of the activities and schedule, the basic structure of the P2A4 on the Cat experience will include:
- Live video magic school classes in the morning, with students selecting their classes from among those offered in a particular time period.
- A break for lunch and free play on the Discord server. There will be story prompts, ongoing activities and pop-up appearances throughout the week on Discord. Campers will have plots to discover, puzzles to solve, and homework to do after class, or they may want to hangout in their Court’s Cat Lounge.
- A late afternoon live session that will be class, a challenge, or meetup.
- A break for dinner (Discord server remains open).
- An out-of-character social activity for two hours in the evening. This would be similar to “hanging out in the dorms.” We are considering games, karaoke, open mic, and other activities and we definitely want camper input for what they think will be fun in the evenings. Campers will have choices among the live sessions or they can also continue to text-based roleplay. Or both! We know most campers are amazing at multi-tasking with screens!
Will I still get a character?
You bet! Our character writer is hard at work this week and next writing up amazing characters for each camper. We’re using a new template this year to make the character sheets easier to read and roleplay. I think you’ll like them.
Will there still be Court Plots and a Main Plot and Personal Stories?
Absolutely! We’ve been working hard translating narratives and wizard school classes to engaging online formats. Some classes will use ingredients and objects in your own homes. There’s also many opportunities to search The Cat for additional information, solve puzzles, go on quests to unlock mysterious hallways or subterranean dungeons, and uncover conspiracies and dark forces working to sabotage wizard safety and security. Along the way, you’ll find ethical quandaries and tough decisions – and consequences from those for your character.
Will there still be a Sorting Ceremony?
Yes, on Sunday night. Classes will begin online on Monday.
Costs & Confirmation
As you might expect, pricing such an online experience hasn’t been easy. I can very safely say that nothing like this has been made before, and we are planning something extraordinary. We’ve hired producers from Third Rail and other theatrical professionals that have helped to host online LARP or interactive theater events, as well as programmers, linguists, and artists to make this happen. It is going to be personalized and immersive, and we are very excited to bring this concept to you.
While there are online summer camps, most offer two hours of video sessions and two hours of independent work per day for a total of 8-15 hours of supervised sessions over the course of a five day week. We will be offering our campers ~70 hours of moderated and curated video, voice, or text-based participation options with individual characters in the story.
We will continue to integrate the same adaptive elements to allow the experience to change as the students make choices throughout the week. This online camp is more than a single subject, such as photography or coding. P2A4 campers get multiple tracks (e.g. Charms & Hexes, Divination, Ciphers & Runes, etc.) as well as special sessions such as clubs and custom small group activities. PLUS! After camp we will keep the Discord server open to campers for ongoing role play and communication.
In a normal year, about 50% of our budget is for food, housing and facilities. This year we want to pay all our staff involved their regular salaries, and bring on several extra collaborators and skilled individuals to make this digital experience event just as engaging. With this in mind, we will offer this exclusive online camp experience for $775 per camper.
The price includes and gives our camp the ability to:
- Host 7 days of online summer camp from the afternoon of July 12 to the afternoon of July 18th. This includes:
- Multiple online classes
- Overall story
- Court Plots
- Personal storylines
- Online collaborative role play
- Facilitated online role play
- So much more!
- Provide an ongoing Discord server support and moderation for 90 days post-camp
- Provide personalized character sheets to help campers create unique characters for this online experience
- Personalized story lines for individual and group role play
- Staff to support emergent storytelling as the week progresses
- Ability to pay our staff, counselors, NPCs, professors, collaborators and skilled individuals for their contributions
We offer a $100 discount to young wizards of military families.
We offer a sibling discount to families that send us a pair (or more!) of prospective wizards of $100 on each sibling’s camp fees.
If you qualify for either discount, please add indicate that in the comment field of your order.